In my last post in the My Journey section I talked about NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. From what I gather it is not a very new concept and many writers out there know of it or have used it before. Yet, what I found was slightly different from what I had been researching it was about, which was that on November 1 to 30 November writers from all over the world will try to write a 50,000 word novel. This in and of itself is a great idea, however, I do not think that that would be ideal for me as it would require over 1,666 words per day. As my uni exams are in November I think will be pulling out my hair already from studying and if I put over 1,000 words a day on top of then…. Well….
How it helps:
- You actually have a target of words instead of just finishing a scene/chapter which is less daunting.
- You have an achievable goal which you set yourself (if you want) and therefore, are more motivated as you know where you are heading.
- You feel motivated to write when you see the amount of words you need to type in order to achieve your monthly goal decreases.
- It tells you the percentage of the book you have written!
- Have I completed everything on time?
- If not, what was it I did wrong?
- What can I do next time to make sure I hit my target?
- How did my writing or the scene/chapter turn out?
I plan on using this until I finish the first draft of my book, however long that takes and will most definitely be using it for my next one. I truly think that this will help me and you keep on track with our writing. I will be sitting down with myself and doing an evaluation each month as well and be putting up posts to show you all how I have gone! If you want to give this a try, in order to plan out your writing you can find the sheets here: http://svenjaliv.com/2014/word-tracking-spreadsheets-for-2015/
Please let me know if you want to try this out too! Perhaps we can compare how we both have gone. Also, comment below what you think of this idea? Does this motivate you or, is it demotivating you and cramping your creative free spirit? Tell me I would love to hear your ideas because I know everyone works differently. For me, I need a kick up the bum to get things done! I hope this gets you typing!