Welcome to the second post in the Novel Prep-Work Series. Recently, I did some work on the element of magic in my WIP. I decided to sit down and figure out everything about: the way it works, where it comes from and it's limits (if there are any). In this post I show you the questions you need to ask in order to properly develop the concept of magic in your WIP.
If you are writing a fantasy or paranormal novel you need to know the way in which the magic world in your novel works. Otherwise, it can lead to inconsistencies, illogical plots and mass confusion for the reader and you as a writer. It is better to get it all written down first and placed into an encyclopaedia so that you can locate it quickly, instead of searching through your 90k word novel to find one spell. If you are unsure what genre you would classify your novel as click here.
- What is the origin of magic? Where does it come from or originate? How did it start?
- Is magic something untameable or can it be controlled?
- Can magic be wielded with physical objects? If yes, what are they and how?
- Is there good and evil magic?
- Can magic be defeated or destroyed?
- Are their limits to magic? If so, what are they?
- Can people get around the limits of magic? If so, how?
- Are humans the only ones who can use magic? If not, what other creatures use magic and what are their abilities?
- Does the wielding of magic come with a price? If so, what is it?
- If magic has a price, can people get around it? If so, how?
- What can magic do exactly? Make people fly? Make it rain? List the possibilities.
- What does one need to cast a spell? What is the process and objects needed? If they don't need anything to cast a spell, outline the process.
- Can a magic ability be lost? If so, how?
- Who receives magic in your world? How is it distributed?
- How do these powers manifest themselves?
- In what way can magic be abused by people?
- Can magic be learned or are people simply born with it?
- how long does it take to learn magic? Is it like any other skill? Are some people naturally gifted and others not?
- Can magic wielders combine their magic?
- Can magic wielders steal the power of others? If so, how?
Magic & How It Relates To Your World
- I hope you have found these questions thought provoking! Let me know if I should add any more, but I really feel like these are the important ones. Feel free to take a look online and I am sure you'll find many more, but just keep in mind that it does take time to fill them out so you may not want to many questions. Don't hesitate to delete the questions that don't relate to you.
A Little Something Extra!
As I mentioned above, I am building my own encyclopaedia and what I did in order to make the document more appealing is make images to use as page dividers between sections. I want to give you a copy of the image I made for MAGIC, so that you may download it and use it in your own encyclopaedia or your other WIP notes. All you have to do is copy and paste it into your MS Word Document.
If you want the Page Divider Image for the section where you workshop the religion of your WIP's world click here. While your there check out the list of questions I used to develop three different religions in my own WIP.
I will be sharing the others with each post in the Novel Prep-Work Series! I hope you like them!